The Journal of Preparedness and Recovery(JOPAR) welcomes submissions on all topics related to emergency management and Homeland Security. The journal is published on a semi-annual basis following the end of the spring and fall semesters at Arkansas Tech University(ATU) by the Department of Emergency Management. Within certain constraints, JOPAR seeks to publish works in a timely manner, space considerations and editorial decisions may result in a delay of the publication of a manuscript.
Types of Manuscripts
Acceptable submissions to JOPAR will include manuscripts of the following types:
- Research Papers
- Case Studies
- General Articles
- Book Reviews
Manuscript Submission Guidelines
All manuscripts must be submitted to the JOPAR editors in electronic format at least one month before the stated publication deadline.
- Manuscripts should be submitted using Microsoft Word and should not exceed approximately 3,500 words, excluding the abstract references.
- Headers, footers, footnotes, and end-notes must NOT be employed.
- Use of personal pronouns (“I”, “we”, “our”, etc.) is strongly discouraged.
- All manuscripts must include a brief but informative abstract. The abstract should not exceed 250 words and should describe the focus and scope of the work. Reference to literature should not be included.
- A separate cover page must be included with all submissions. It should include:
- the type of paper (Research, Case Study, General Article, etc.),
- the full name, affilitation, and e-mail address of each author, and
- the author designated as the contact person.
- Authors’ names or other identifying information should not appear on the manuscript pages.
- Articles may include graphics and hyperlinks to online multimedia objects or other online material, where the latter are indicated and linked using the hyperlink tool provided in Word. Authors should ensure that all links are active at the time of submission. All graphics must be places at the appropriate location in the manuscript.
- All tables must be generated using the Table function in Word. All tables and graphic figures must be placed at the appropriate locations in the paper. No more than ten (10) tables and/or six (6) figures should be included in a paper. Exceptions require approval by the JOPAR editor.
- Citations and references should be prepared according to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association 6th Edition, 2009.
- Before publication, authors will be asked to confirm that the submitted work is original.
- Once the editors determine that the manuscript is appropriate for the journal, the manuscript will be sent to the Editorial Review Board (ERB).
- The review will occur in a timely manner by members of the ERB review panel. Review panel recommendations include acceptance as submitted, acceptance with prescribed changes, or rejection of the manuscript. Final publication decisions will be made by the editors, taking into account the recommendations of the ERB. Authors will be notified of publication decisions.
- Once an article has been accepted for publication, authors will be expected to submit a revised version of the article, including any recommended changes, in a timely manner.
- All article published in JOPAR will be copyrighted using a Creative Commons “Attribution-Non Commercial-Share Alike” license. This license allows the authors to retain the copyright, but also allows other to copy, distribute, and display the copyrighted work, and derivative works based up it, under certain specified conditions. Details regarding this license and it’s conditions can be found at the Creative Commons web site.
Do not include page numbers, headers, or footers. JOPAR will add the appropriate header with page numbers.
- Submit your manuscript, including tables, figures, etc. as a single file (Word or RTF).
- Page size should be 8.5 x 11-inches.
- All margins (left, right, top and bottom) should be 1 inch.
- Double space your text.
- Use a single column layout with only the left margin justified.
- Do not use special formatting or spacing between paragraphs.
- Font: Main Body — 12 pt. Times New Roman.
- Figures or graphics should be high resolution.
- Copyedit your manuscript prior to submission.
For sample articles, click here.